Monday, February 27, 2012

WSC Week 2, Mike's Favorite Lettuce Wraps

This recipe has 3 different parts; the main filling portion and two different sauces that can be made ahead of time if you wish:

Sauce 1

1/4 c sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot mustard powder
2 tablespoons water
1-2 teaspoons garlic and red chili paste

Stir Fry Sauce

4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Mix together and set aside


Lettuce Wrap Ingredients
3 tablespoons oil (I used canola)
about 1 pound ground chicken breasts
1 cup water chestnuts (1 can seems to be just right)
2/3 cup mushrooms
3 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4-5 leaves lettuce, iceberg, romain, butter..whichever kind works for you

Directions:

1. Make the Sauce 1 by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl
2. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil.
3. Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you're ready to serve.  I placed mine in a plastic container with a lid so that I could shake it.
4. Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well, add more or less water/mustard powder until it has the consistence of regular yellow mustard
5.You will later add your desired measurement of this mustard and the garlic chili sauce to the Sauce 1 mixture to pour over the wraps...kinda like salsa on a taco. 
6. Cut/mince mushrooms and water chestnuts to about the size of small peas.
7. Bring oil to med heat in a large frying pan
8. Begin cooking ground chicken and cook until almost done and then add the onion, mushrooms, water chestnuts...you may have to add a little more oil for stir-frying this but do not over-cook the added veggies, you want them crisp-tender.
9. Add in the prepared stir-fry sauce and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce wraps.
10.  Use Sauce1 as your main sauce adding the chili garlic past and hot mustard to taste, be careful here and start out sparingly, they are both pretty hot but super flavorful.  Add this to your lettuce wrap after filled with meat mixture.
11.  I used rice crispy noodles for topping the wraps, (Liz's recomendation) and it really made it nice and crunchy.
12. We usually have plain white rice with the wraps, Mike adds the sauce to his rice.

All of the pictures I took of Mike and I making this dish disappeared off my camera...ugh!  I will try and recover them somehow and add them later.  I hope you like these, it is a favorite at the Adkins House.  Enjoy.

Cindy's Lettuce Wraps



David Eating Carla's Lettuce Wraps

5 comments:

  1. Sooooooo YUMMY!!! I can't wait to make Mike's wraps again. I think the next time (probably next week) I'm going to add a thai chili or two in addition to the mustard (which we loved)sauce for an additional kick of heat. I used Romaine lettuce because I always have the hearts on hand. It is far less messy if you double up each lettuce wrap with 2 leaves of lettuce. Even though I love lettuce wraps with the crispy noodles, I can't find them anywhere! Still looking though. So to replace the crunch I was missing from the noodles, I had some shredded carrots on hand, chopped them a bit and through them in the stir fry.

    Oh before I forget, I did serve this with a side of sticky sweet rice. Basically, I made rice in the rice cooker. Instead of using water to cook it, I used a can of coconut milk with 2 cups of dry rice. You could use half coconut milk and half water if you want it less sweet.

    Cindy, such a great meal and a nice change up in our week night dinner. It is also so perfect because it took about 30 minutes to make! Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo delicious! And so dang easy! I didn't try the mustard sauce because it smelled like horseraddish :(. Speaking if that sauce I could not find hot mustard powder anywhere so I just used my mustard powder I had at home. The garlic chili paste was hard to find as well to I went with a Thai chili garlic sauce.
    Next time I make then I will have to double the batch because they went so fast. Even my lil picky eater Jayson loved them. I too missed the crunch so next time I think I might add some green onions?

    I made some rice as well to accompany the wraps....Liz great idea with coconut milk. I need to try that.

    Yummmmmyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did add crispy noodles to mine, and forgot to add it in the menu...the ones made out of rice are perfect for this dish, they are lighter..they are found in the oriental section of the groc store in a bag..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved, loved the lettuce wraps. So quick to make, and Nick even loved them. I will for sure be making these again. So Yummy, I probably won't make the dipping sauces next time, they were just so good by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David and I both loved these. I liked all the textures and flavors that it offered.

    ReplyDelete