Friday, April 13, 2012

Weekend Supper Club, Round 2, Week 2: Ice Cream Ball Dessert

This is a really simple dessert and I can't believe I had never made it before but I think you will really enjoy it.  I attended a high-end fundraiser luncheon at River Oaks Country Club benefiting one of the local hospitals here in Houston.  The lunch was great and as usual, heavy for lunch however, they brought out this fabulous, simple dessert that not only looked beautiful and elegant, it was light and perfect after a heavy lunch and/or dinner.

Ingredients:

Ice Cream - any flavor you like, I do think the white ice creams make a prettier presentation than the chocolate because of the contrast, but it really doesn't matter
1 bottle of Smuckers Magic Shell Ice Cream Topper - there are several flavors of this also, I used regular chocolate
Pepperidge Farm Pirouette cookies, also choices here, there are lots of flavors and even other makers of this round rolled cookie, it's just there for the effect so pick what you would like.
Your choice of an ice cream nutty topping or crushed almonds (I used a praline topping from Pampered Chef that Carla had given me).

Directions:

Use a large ice cream scoop to make a medium to large perfectly rounded ball of ice cream, one for each person that you will be serving.  Place them in the freezer on a cookie sheet or flat dish lined with waxed paper to keep it from sticking.  I also covered the top with waxed paper just for protection.  This is where all the work is done ahead of time.  When it's time to serve dessert, pull the balls out of the freezer and put in individual dishes, slowly drizzle the Magic Shell Topper on top in order to cover the entire ball (Magic Shell cannot be stored in the refrig and must be shaken well before each use). Immediately sprinkle your ice cream topping on top before the shell sets up and add the two cookies on the side for pizazz.  I tried to drizzle a little chocolate for decor but it didn't turn out very pretty so I'm anxious to see what you guys do. 

Side note:  If you don't have any cute ice cream dishes they have some really cute pedestal clear ones at Wal-Mart for $1.50, definitely worth the buy.  Have fun and I can't wait to see your pictures.


Ice Cream Extras

Ice Cream Ball

Julie's Ice Cream (and 2 for the babies)
Carla's Ice Cream in Crystal

2 comments:

  1. I made this not once but 3 nights in a row and we loved it. So simple but so very good. I did buy low calorie ice cream and because of the topping and nuts the taste wasn't compromised. I used vanilla bean ice cream and might try the vanilla with carmel next time. Thank you Cindy for this great idea, I can hardly wait until Hanleigh comes for dinner on Sunday because she will be so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so loved this dessert. Ryne ate it with his hands, holding the ice cream ball and taking bites. I also used vanilla bean, but we used peanuts for garnish, which was really good, salty and sweet. I couldn't believe how easy this was, and so good. Thanks for another great, quick recipe.

    ReplyDelete