Thursday, May 2, 2013

Season 2, Week 2: Julie's Frozen Key Lime Pie

Perfect for Cinco De Mayo Weekend, this pie is so great.  It's cold and tart, Julie will send the picture later, but here are the instructions/recipe:


Please make sure to add that this pie does take several hours to freeze.  I just don't want anyone to make it, and expect to eat it right away.  Could be made in the morning and eaten that night.


Ingredients:

Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter- melted

Filling:
6 Extra Large egg yolks- make sure they are at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
sweetened condensed milk - 14oz can
2 tbsp grated lime zest
3/4 cup fresh lime juice - you can use regular limes or key limes

Whipped Topping:
1 cup cold heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 350
Combine crust ingredients and form into a pie plate, bake for 10 minutes.
Beat egg yolks and sugar with a paddle attachment until thick (5 minutes)
With mixer on medium speed, add condensed milk, lime zest and lime juice.
Pour into baked pie shell and freeze....for about an hour.

Beat the heavy cream with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form, add sugar and vanilla, beat until firm.
Spread over pie, freeze for several hours.


Enjoy!

                                                       Carla's Key Lime Pie (naked)

                                                           Carla's Key Lime Pie with WC                                  

                                          Cindy's KLP not quite frozen enough, but still delish!
                      Liz's Pie.  She got fancy and topped it with candied limes
Candied Limes
                                              

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 limes                                                  

  • 2 tablespoons sugar                                                  
  • 1 cup water

  • Directions
    1. Slice limes into thin wheels(the thinner the better without falling apart). The next time I try this I will probably use my mandolin so that the slices are uniform.   Blanch in a pot of boiling 1 cup of water for 2 min & scoop the lime slices out with a slotted spoon.
    2. In the same pot, combine the 1 cup of water from blanching & 1 cup sugar. Bring to a simmer & add lime slices back into the pot. Simmer for 10-15 min, till white pith of limes looks translucent (May take longer if pith is esp thick or dense).
    3. Drain & spread out on a cooling rack to dry (I didn't feel like these got completely dry) for at least 1 hour.
    4. Put 2 tbsp sugar in shallow bowl or saucer. When limes are dry, coat both sides of the lime slices by pressing them into the sugar (May need more sugar for good coverage).
    5. Store in an airtight container & layer between parchment paper or plastic wrap till ready to use.

                                                                 Garretts Lime Pie

    5 comments:

    1. This pie was so easy to make and refreshing and tart to eat. I am sure that I will make this pie in the middle of the summer as a treat during the dog days of summer. Next time I make this I might double the whipping cream amount because mine was a thin layer on top and I think I might like a bit more so I can make pretty "peaks" and who doesn't love whipping cream! Thank you Julie for this fabulous recipe, you need to open a bakery one day.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Julie, I loved this pie when you made it for me the first time and loved it almost as much when I made it myself, :).. It is a really pretty pie and so great for Cinco de Mayo. I thought it was also fun to make. My problem is not waiting long enough for it, I made it around 2pm on Sunday and it wasn't frozen through by 6pm, but it sure was fabulous this afternoon around 3pm.

      ReplyDelete
    3. So excited! So far the lime custard is in the freezer waiting:). I did cool the crust completely and put the empty cool crust into the freezer to freeze it before I added the lime custard. It's a trick I use to help pudding pies set too. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thinking of decorating it with candied limes!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Julie, the pie is fabulous! We'll make it again for sure!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I'm so glad you all loved it. We love this pie in my house. Awesome with the candied limes Liz, they look soo pretty on top.

      ReplyDelete