Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Season 2; Week 4; Cindy's Spinach Lasagna Rolls

I love lasagna, so when I found a way to make it a little different, and more server-friendly I wanted to give it a try. This was fun to make and is great for entertaining because it is "pretty" and great for portion control.  Can't wait for you all to try it:

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 pound of ground Italian Sausage (whatever kind you like)
1 10-ounce package frozen leaf spinach, thawed, drained, chopped
1 15-oz container ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 egg, beaten to blend
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley (I used dried)
salt and pepper
1 jar of your favorite prepared spaghetti sauce (I use Kroger's Marinara, it's $1 and taste great)
8 lasagna noodles, freshly cooked (do not overcook, al dente for handling). You will only use 6, but 2 extra just in case you have any that break
1 1/4 cups grated mozzarella

You'll also need:
A roll of wax paper if you don't have it (it's about $1-2 and in the aluminum foil section of the store)
An 8 x 8 square baking dish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Cook the Italian sausage in a frying pan until thoroughly cooked and in small pieces. Remove from pan, add a little more oil to pan and add spinach and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Cool. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg and parsley in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 cup of spaghetti sauce over bottom of 8-inch square baking dish.
Remove the al dente lasagna noodles from the pot individually and place on wax paper for drying and easy handling (the wax paper keeps them from sticking to the counter). Spread about about 1/3 cup ricotta mixture of each noodle. Sprinkle the cooked sausage (you will have some sausage left over, this will be added to the remaining sauce later) over the ricotta mixture, carefully roll up noodle, starting at 1 short end, to enclose filling. Arrange seam side down in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining noodles, 6 fit just right. Add remaining sausage to remaining spaghetti sauce then pour over noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until cheese melts, about 45 minutes.  I hope you love it!






                                                          Cindy's Lasagna Process
                                                             Garrett's Lasagna
                                                   Garrett's Lasagna....looks Delish!
                                                     Carla's Lasagna
                                                             Julie's Lasagna
Liz's Rolls. Yummmmmmm!

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I can't wait to try this! What a fun new spin on lasagna. I have a feeling that this will be one of my "go to" dishes for baby meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super excited to make this, I will be making it tomorrow, since Nick is at school tonight...so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this recipe and so did Hanleigh! I do think the way that it does make it portion controlled was good for me and my diet. This is a good dinner party recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the lasagna rolls, my kids weren't too find of "the green stuff" though. I might just make may lasagna this way from now on, I love the rolls rather than the layering.

    ReplyDelete