Thursday, June 27, 2013

Season 2; Week 9 Cindy's Central Texas Slaw

Carla is headed out of town for a little Vaca and will submit one of her fabulous recipes next week, so I am sharing this recipe I have for Central Texas Coleslaw.  I found this particular recipe in the June 2013 Issue of Southern Living Magazine..They had a section on State Champion Slaw and this one was the winner for Central Texas.  I've made it twice and loved it and will continue to make it.

Central Texas Slaw Ingredients:

Slaw Dressing:
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp sugar
3-4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper (I used cayenne but you could use something milder like paprika if you don't want the heat)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper.

Veggie Ingredients:
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced white (green) cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 medium jalapeno pepper (with seeds) thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced

1/2 cup chopped cilantro (added right before serving)

Directions:
Whisk together the slaw dressing ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
Add the veggies to the large bowl with dressing, toss to coat. Chill 1 hour before serving, tossing occasionally. Stir in the chopped cilantro just before serving. Makes about 4 cups

Note:  If there is any leftover for next day, drain the additional liquid off before refrigerating to keep it from getting soggy.  It's still pretty perky the next day..

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
Central Texas Slaw

Liz's Slaw

2 comments:

  1. I can't find my picture for this one but will be making it again this weekend, so I have posted the one from the magazine..mine looked just like it of course...lol..no really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,
    I used this for a bbq on Saturday. It is so pretty! It looked amazing on my cobalt blue serving dish from Pottery Barn. I will use it again for sure!

    ReplyDelete